Patience... more of it... lots of it
I am someone my boss labelled as ,"with service DNA".
Strangely... my service DNA is evident only in the work context. When I go away fromwork, it seems like my service DNA mutates into something else. I think the mutation is most noticeable when I'm around people that I'm really close to such as my family members.
I have a pretty short fuse especially when I'm at home, it seems exceptionally short. I love them... my kids,my husband... but yet I think I'm most impatient when I'm around them. My children are at that age when they would question everything and can't stop talking. They get into this state of what I would coin "Verbal Diarrhoea"...
"Mummy, do you know..." "yes... you told me that the other day"
"Mummy, why...?" "darling... that's cos..."
"Mummy, did you..." "No, I did not... and girls, can you stop asking mummy questions for a while? Mummy needs a break."
"Oh... ok mummy."
After less than 1 minute
"Mummy... you know ah..." "Stop! It's not 5 minutes yet!"
"Oh yah!"
I know that they are going to grow up really quickly and I should really be enjoying every minute with them. But it seems like I've used up every bit of my service DNA at work already and I've none left by the time I reach home.
Pastor said this the other day and it brought tears to my eyes as it reminded me that our time with our children is very little. We are given stewardship over our children only for a while. For a short period of time, so that we can enjoy them and take care of them. Then comes the day they are ready to leave the nest and it's our success when they can leave home and become successful themselves.
That's so true. Enjoying our children is important. I'm not saying that we should be overly-indulgent and live to fulfil their every whim and fancy. Discipline is important and helping them become successful in the future is to teach them to cope with life's circumstances, even failure. I just read that suicide rates in Singapore has gone up and most of them are young males between 20 - 29 years of age. They were not able to cope with the set backs they were facing in life. I started to wonder if this is because they've been living sheltered lives and had never been warned about the challenges they could face in reality.
Haa... my hubby is just saying that we are perhaps the most bo-chap parents around cos we don't go hunting for the perfect kindergartens like a lot of parents do and are happy when my kids get 90 marks for their spelling and test.
Perhaps not really bo chap... but sometimes growing up in a REAL environment is better for the children, we feel?
Oops! Think I strayed from where I began. But whatever it is... I think I do need patience with my kids... more of it... lots of it in fact.
Strangely... my service DNA is evident only in the work context. When I go away fromwork, it seems like my service DNA mutates into something else. I think the mutation is most noticeable when I'm around people that I'm really close to such as my family members.
I have a pretty short fuse especially when I'm at home, it seems exceptionally short. I love them... my kids,my husband... but yet I think I'm most impatient when I'm around them. My children are at that age when they would question everything and can't stop talking. They get into this state of what I would coin "Verbal Diarrhoea"...
"Mummy, do you know..." "yes... you told me that the other day"
"Mummy, why...?" "darling... that's cos..."
"Mummy, did you..." "No, I did not... and girls, can you stop asking mummy questions for a while? Mummy needs a break."
"Oh... ok mummy."
After less than 1 minute
"Mummy... you know ah..." "Stop! It's not 5 minutes yet!"
"Oh yah!"
I know that they are going to grow up really quickly and I should really be enjoying every minute with them. But it seems like I've used up every bit of my service DNA at work already and I've none left by the time I reach home.
Pastor said this the other day and it brought tears to my eyes as it reminded me that our time with our children is very little. We are given stewardship over our children only for a while. For a short period of time, so that we can enjoy them and take care of them. Then comes the day they are ready to leave the nest and it's our success when they can leave home and become successful themselves.
That's so true. Enjoying our children is important. I'm not saying that we should be overly-indulgent and live to fulfil their every whim and fancy. Discipline is important and helping them become successful in the future is to teach them to cope with life's circumstances, even failure. I just read that suicide rates in Singapore has gone up and most of them are young males between 20 - 29 years of age. They were not able to cope with the set backs they were facing in life. I started to wonder if this is because they've been living sheltered lives and had never been warned about the challenges they could face in reality.
Haa... my hubby is just saying that we are perhaps the most bo-chap parents around cos we don't go hunting for the perfect kindergartens like a lot of parents do and are happy when my kids get 90 marks for their spelling and test.
Perhaps not really bo chap... but sometimes growing up in a REAL environment is better for the children, we feel?
Oops! Think I strayed from where I began. But whatever it is... I think I do need patience with my kids... more of it... lots of it in fact.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home