Thursday, March 22, 2007

Myths About Maternity Leave

Whoever thinks that 3 months of maternity leave means 3 months of good rest and rejuvenation for the new mummy... let me dispell this myth for you.

My 3 months of maternity leave left me rest deprived. I sometimes even think that going back to work would be less tiring. Being a full-time mum means that you are on standby 24/7. There is no off days... there is no time-out. Especially so when I was left without a maid for a week! It is truly by God's grace that I pulled through with my sanity intact. My maid applied for a job in Denmark... this process itself would be another interesting story. Let's cut it short... she gave me two weeks' notice and during these two weeks, she went back to Philippines for a week to visit her grandmother. As my new maid has not arrived yet, I was left alone... with my 3 girls... just before Chinese New Year.

During this time, I got my keys to my long awaited apartment. Excitement aside... it's also now time to finalise the design, furnishings, inspect the property and make sure all the defects are rectified. So many things to do and so little time. But alas... the worse is over and we are looking forward to moving in in another 2-3 weeks.

But despite all the complains and stress, I enjoyed my 3 months with my 3 girls. I am not the most patient mum in the world... so you see me losing my cool a lot of times. But looking back... it's really not so bad afterall.

My new maid arrived at our house a day before Chinese New Year's eve. She's sweet... has a pleasant smile. Gentle and patient. Very teachable too... I'm starting to like her quite a bit. The children take to her too and that's really more than I can ask.

So if you really think that 3 months of maternity leave is all fun and play... for the 1st baby perhaps but not so thereafter... still the joy they bring... unparallel to anything.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home