Monday, March 07, 2005

Tackling Change?

I just found out earlier in the afternoon that a colleague of mine tendered her resignation this morning. Before that, our temporary secretary told me that things are not working out, so she's not going to stay either. What a day full of 'surprises' ...

Then I was reminded that nothing in this world is forever. Only change is constant. Sometimes, the changes around you just knock you off your feet and makes you wonder how you are going to stay afloat in the tidal waves of change, when every wave looks huge enough to submerge you and drown you. Are you even going to surface again and see the light, and take in a gasp of air before the next wave hits you? Will the next wave be as big as the last? Or even bigger?

I used to be so petrified of changes... and I wish that everything can stay the same as they used to be. But some of the changes I went through, though they seem scary at first, are for the better. Then again... there were days I wish that it was just a dream and I would wake up from it to find that everything is still the way they were. So how do you stay afloat in the choppy sea of life? Focus on the greater constant.

If everything about the world is changing and even the constellations are not spared, we would have to look beyond all these for something that is unchanging. Who else but our Father in heaven? Our Almighty God? Creator of the Heavens and the earth? It gives me relief to know that my Abba Father loves me the same yesterday, today and forever. It gives me great assurance to know that my Abba Father will stand by everything He says... so if He says that I'm eternally forgiven, that has to be so and if He says that I'm blessed with all things, I am indeed blessed with all things! I have bosses who changes their minds all the time, so I know how scary it can be... You never know when they will go back on what they said and blame you for it. With my Abba Father, I know that He will never do that. When Peter focused on Jesus, he walked on water, but when he focused on the waves, he drowned.

Holding on to the things in our lives or to the people around us is not going to help. But relying on Him does! He promised in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." So you can be assured that for every situation you are going through, God is there, and He is faithful to His promise. You just have to remember and cling to Him, He is our ark in the storm, our protection. He is our refuge, our fortress and surely, He will deliver us (Psalm 91).

So, when we get hit by the next wave of change, focus on Jesus! Fix your gaze on our Rock of Salvation and we shall walk on the water like Peter did. But whatever you do... just do not take your eyes off Him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kabe said...

Amen sister ! Preach it ! Very blessed and encouraged by your entry today... GOD is the ONLY CONSTANT among the challenges we face everyday !

5:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home