Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Marital Bliss...

I was doing some maths today and I realised that Derrick and I had been married for 7 years already. We became friends around 11 years ago, started dating 10 years back and decided to get married 3 years later.

During the very first decent conversation we had(not that the other conversations were in anyway indecent, but we never really had the chance to talk to each other), he asked me a funny question... "Do you have a dog at home? Or a puppy?" "No... why do you ask?" At the same time, I started looking around my clothes for doggy fur and started to sniff hard for any doggy smell... no... no... Ohhh... indirect way of telling me I'm a bitch??? "I don't know why... but I have this impression of you holding a puppy." Phew... ok... I don't have doggy fur, doggy smell and I'm certainly not a bitch either. H
aa... but what kind of a conversation starter is this? Do I have a dog??? Then again... as you can see, it left an inelible impression.
Our first date was funny. It wasn't really a date, we were at a BBQ and we just took some time off (uh uh... time off only ok... nothing else came off) at a nearby park. The moon was big and orangy, the air was cool, it was in the wee hours of the morning and it was totally romantic. We shared ideas and talked about everything and suddenly... grrrrrrowwwwwwl... Stomachian for "feed me..." *pathetic* (this is important... fill your stomach before you go on a date!)

Well, we went through a lot of thick and thin together before we finally decided to tie the knot. He proposed with a .36 carat rock on Mount Faber with a bouquet of 11 white tulips (I love white flowers, anything... lilies, tulips... except roses... I like them in the deepest red). The wedding was beautiful! Hilton International did a wonderful job and we totally enjoyed our honeymoon in Vancouver.

There were a lot of fights in the first year of our marriage. We were two personalities from 2 different families, forsaking all other and coming together to be joined as one. We had different ideas, different habits and different lifestyles. We had to adapt to each other... idiosyncrasies that we thought of as unique and interesting soon became points of contention and the source of heated arguments. There were times we felt like throwing in the towel... call it quits... thought about how life would be with someone else. But by God's grace, we made it through together.

Someone told me that the honeymoon period gives way to reality after a while, but our honeymoon period never really ended. Even though we have 2 lovely little girls now, it felt as if we got married just not so long ago... memories of our wedding, as vivid as ever. Derrick continues to give me surprises (he secretly bot tickets for Singing in the Rain to celebrate my birthday 2 years back, and I din even know about it until we sat down and had dinner. He even ordered a huge bouquet of lilies from a floral shop in the Esplanade), we continue to talk to each other... crack silly jokes and laugh ourselves crazy... have romantic dinners as and when we can... we still think that we are the most wonderful blessing in each other's life... learnt to appreciate each other... so the list continues.

It's always easy to just give up and go... but it takes a lot more to work things through and after 7 years, I'll say that it's all worth the while.



1 Comments:

Blogger Kabe said...

Amen sister ! Let God continue to be the "3rd party" in your marriage and He will do wonders ! Praise Jesus.

5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home